BLUFNational and international leaders and experts from military, academia, and aerospace met in Canberra on 22 – 23 March for the biennial 2022 Air and Space Power Conference (ASPCon22).
This article by Defence News makes the following points:
- The two-day conference examined resilience and innovation in an increasingly contested air and space power environment.
- Defence Minister Peter Dutton used the event to officially announce the establishment of Defence Space Command, with Air Vice-Marshal Cath Roberts as its inaugural Commander.
- Mr Dutton said significant change across the geopolitical, societal and technological spectrums had made it vital to harness collective expertise to shape and deliver air and space power.
- ASPCon22 featured an Innovation Expo to connect cutting-edge research and innovation from Defence, research institutions, academia, start-ups and industry.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Australia and New Zealand should help their island neighbours get into space | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- What is Australia's space division, and why is it in the military? | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- MAR 2022 Russia and China give Australia’s space commander the need for speed—ASPI
- MAR 2022 Defence Minister Peter Dutton flags future US-style Space Force for Australia—ABC
- MAR 2022 Australia launches Space Command division—Sky News
- MAR 2022 US says Australia an important ally in deterring space hostility from China, Russia—Canberra Times