BLUFChatbots like ChatGPT and Bing's chatbot were demos designed to sell other companies on tools they could use to build their own generative AI platforms, and it worked.
This article by Alex Kantrowitz, writing for Slate, makes the following points:
- The chatbots did their job. They drew attention; inspired awe, mockery, and even some fear.
- Most importantly, they led businesses and developers to ask how they could put the technology to use.
- Most of the money OpenAI will ever make will come from selling programming tools to developers.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
References from the Web:
- JUN 2022 It's alive! How belief in AI sentience is becoming a problem—Reuters
- AUG 2022 Chatbots: A long and complicated history—CNN Business