Page updated 11 Sep 2022
Links to RAAF Runway Information Pages
- RAAF RUNWAY: RATIONALE, GUIDELINES, DIRECTIONS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- AUSTRALIAN MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE RESOURCES | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- LEARNING OUTCOMES—RUNWAY | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- LINKS TO PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION (PME) WEB PAGES | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
Runway Topics as of Sep 2022 are as follows:
- Business Skilling
- Communication & Cognition
- Military History
- Strategic Influences
- Technology & Innovation
- All Learning Outcomes are expressed in terms of developing an awareness related to a particular topic. Runway articles have been selected in the belief that reading them might help readers develop an awareness of a topic as specified in the following Learning Outcomes.
Business Skilling...Develop an awareness of:
- Business Skilling includes tools, technology, innovation, trends, future development, and the skills you might need during your military career.
Communication & Cognition...Develop an awareness of:
- The need to be sceptical of any claim that does not provide sufficient scientifically based evidence to support what is being claimed.
- What makes for good and effective communication, whether verbal, written, electronic, film, podcast etc.
- The cognitive, thinking and psychological processes underpin the way humans make decisions, develop beliefs, reach conclusions, and evaluate evidence.
- The need to develop critical thinking skills to objectively analyse and evaluate any issue to form a judgment about that issue.
Cyber...Develop an awareness of:
- Cyberwarfare. Cybersecurity, Cyberdefence, Cyberattack,
- The different forms of cyberattack.
- The different strategies that can be used to make a cyberattack less likely.
- How organisations can defend themselves from a cyberattack
Leadership...Develop an awareness of:
- How effective leadership can enhance capability.
- The different types of leadership can be applied depending on the situation or context.
- The importance of EI/EQ in how you exercise leadership.
Military History...Develop an awareness of:
- Historical sources that might inform current strategic, operational and tactical decision-making.
- How documented differences from our past, including culture, values and ethics, can help us set goals and values for our present.
- Appreciate that everything we do, everything we use, and everything else we study is the product of a complex set of causes, ideas, and practices.
- To develop an awareness of the historical application of airpower.
Strategic Influences...Develop an awareness of:
- Australia’s strategic environment and how nations, including our own, attempt to shape the environment to meet their needs and requirements.
Technology & Innovation...Develop an awareness of:
- Technology and innovation and how it can contribute to our economy and to military capability.
Wellbeing...Develop an awareness of:
- How individuals can improve and maintain their wellbeing in terms of health, happiness and prosperity.