How humans and AI can work together to create better businesses
BLUFAI is widely adopted across business and government, but its rules-based algorithms limits judgements means that a human interface is required to avoid manipulation, discrimination and intrusion, and in some cases, disaster.
- AI works like bureaucracies, rules-based algorithms subjugating human judgment.
- AI brings "algocracy" **, where increasingly critical decisions are made outside of any human control.
- A BCG and MIT survey shows that 18 per cent of global companies are making money with AI.
- AI without human judgement can make dumb decisions.
- AI can be accountable for decisions instead of management.
- A Human plus AI model breaks down its time as follows:
- Ten per cent to code algos*.
- Twenty per cent to build tech around the algos.
- Seventy per cent to combine people and processes.
- Failure to combine people and processes can result in a disastrous outcome, e.g., 737 Max 8.
- Businesses can set limits to mitigate against manipulation, discrimination and intrusion.
- A transcript of this video can be found here: Humans and AI Ted Talk transcript.
Additional references are as follows:
- May 2020. BBC How AI can help us harness our 'collective intelligence'
- May 2020 IT Pro. Why humans and machines work better together
- May 2021 Forbes. How AI Will Impact the Future of Work and Life
Image Used: Image via www.vpnsrus.com Sourced: Artificial Intelligence, AI.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
*Short for algorithm.
** Algocracy: a situation in which algorithm-based systems structure and constrain the opportunities for human participation in and comprehension of public decision-making.