Leadership 6 Essential lessons for women leaders
BLUFFormer Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, currently Director-General of the World Trade Organization, reflect on their experiences as women leaders in positions of global authority.
World Trade Organisation Director Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and former Prime Minister Julia Gillard share six pieces of advice for what they argue is gender bias and stereotyping of women in the workplace:
- There’s no right way to be a woman leader.
- Women leaders face sexism and stereotyping.
- Debunk gender stereotypes. False assumptions can’t survive when held up in the light of day.
- Be a supporter of systems and changes that aid gender equality, even if you don’t need them straight away.
- Don’t take a backwards step. Don’t assume you’re too junior, or people are too busy—reach out and network.
- Just ‘go for it’.
Nb. Transcript available here: Transcript 6 essential lessons for women leaders