Super speed magnetic levitation and the vision behind the hyperloop
BLUFA hyperloop is a transit system with a vehicle inside a vacuum tube, allowing ground-level travel at airline speeds but without turbulence and for a tenth of the energy used by an aircraft.
In this TED Talk, Josh Giegel CTO of Virgin Hyperloop makes the following points:
- The human obsession with speed and volume is destroying the planet.
- In the United States, the transportation industry is the biggest creator of greenhouse gas emissions.
- A hyperloop system can change this by transforming short-haul journeys and commutes from hours to minutes.
- In 2013 Elon Musk released the "Hyperloop Alpha" white paper that proposed an idea with an open invitation for anyone to take it from a concept and design it to reality.
- Virgin Hyperloop designed and built the world's largest vacuum structures, passive magnetic guideways and created pods capable of withstanding a space environment.
- The pods are powered by next-generation batteries, using state-of-the-art magnetic levitation and the world's most efficient linear electric motor.
- Virgin Hyperloop built a test track and, in November 2020, successfully operated the system with actual people.
- Nations around the world are looking for ways to reduce carbon emissions, and this technology will help.
Worth noting the following references:
- Feb 2021 TRIPLE PUNDIT Photos: The Virgin Hyperloop Now Seems a Little More Real
- Mar 2021 UNDECIDED Exploring Hyperloop – The Future of Renewable Public Transport?
- May 2021 LEONARD Emerging Trends: Hyperloop and the challenges of ultra-high speed terrestrial transportation
- Aug 2021 VentureBeat Virgin Hyperloop explains how its pods will connect cities at 670 mph
- Nov 2021 Electronics 360 Biden signs infrastructure bill that includes funding for hyperloop