BLUFTanner Simkins identifies the five skills that every manager needs: communication coaching, inclusivity, development planning, and time management.
Managers have a complex job to do, especially in the area of personnel management. As you get promoted the demands only increase. You don’t instantly have the skills to undertake the role, no matter what rank you are when you take on a new job. Simkins argues that all effective managers have the following skills:
- Communication: good managers can communicate effectively with both their team(s) and higher management.
- Coaching: being coached into becoming a better coach will allow managers coach and build trust in those they manage.
- Inclusivity: managers need to know how to include every single member of their teams.
- Professional development planning: Managers have to grow and develop their own skills at the same times as they are helping their teams to grow.
- Time management: One of the skills that managers need from day one.
Think about any other skills that you think that effective managers might need.
- Sep 2020 Prospects 7 skills for a successful management career
- Sep 2020 Manatel Essential management skills for companies seeking growth in 2021
- Sep 2020 Zippia MOST IMPORTANT MANAGEMENT SKILLS
- Oct 2020 Luminous Data Management skills
- Nov 2020 Apollo TOP 10 ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT SKILLS TO SUCCEED (2020)
- Jan 2021 Forbes 15 Effective Ways To Strengthen Senior Leadership’s Management Skills