BLUFThis article from a former LtCol in the Royal Tank Regiment argues that tanks still have a role in coordinated combined arms groups, including infantry in Infantry Fighting Vehicles, recce vehicles, engineers, artillery and air defence.
This article makes the following points:
- The conflicts between Armenia and Azerbaijan and the war in Ukraine have focused attention on the main battle tank’s role.
- It’s a continuous see-saw battle between tank protection levels, and the potency of weapons designed to defeat that protection.
- Bigger guns versus thicker armour or active armour that intercepts incoming missiles.
- In Ukraine, Russia has the technology to defeat many anti-tank weapons, but they haven’t been used or didn’t work.
- Russian tanks lacked logistic support, air superiority and air defence cover.
- Cheap mobile cannon/ laser systems can knock down drones.
- The Ukrainians have dispersed and conserved their aircraft, using them at the right place and time.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
References from the Web:
- JAN 2022 Australia, we’re getting new tanks. But do we really need them?- SBS News
- MAR 2022 The Russian War in Ukraine – First Impressions- Defense Update
- MAR 2022 Drone footage shows Ukrainian ambush on Russian tanks-the Guardian
Source UK Defence Journal:
- Link to Source: UK Defence Journal
- Media Check: About Us| UK Defence Journal
- LEARNING OUTCOMES—RUNWAY