BLUFTrying to understand another person's perspective can improve communication and make for a happier and more productive workplace.
Unproductive workplace conflict has many causes, some of which might be caused by leaders and managers doing or failing to do some of the following:
- Failing to communicate with people we don't like.
- Failing to recognize and reward people.
- Needing to win a debate or argument at all costs.
- Letting frustration with one person affect other people.
- Failing to be an active listener.
- Lacking emotional intelligence in dealing with:
- Passing judgment instead of trying to understand different perspectives and realities. 'Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at work.' applies.
- Playing the 'blame game' instead of being 'solution-oriented.
- Failing to encourage innovation.
- Refusing to be held accountable.
- Not being able to see mistakes as a learning opportunity.