BLUFThis article argues that Russia has been fighting a hybrid war against Ukraine for the last eight years without the rest of the world showing any real concern.
This article from DW makes the following points:
- Putin is attacking Ukraine at all levels, including social media, cyber and disinformation, to create his narrative.
- Russian "Wiper" malware, probably developed by November 2021, erases an entire hard drive making it inoperable.
- Ministries, banks, etc., targeted.
- DDoS, or denial of service, attacks flood an organisation with requests for information, paralysing them.
- Embedded metadata shows Putin and Donetsk separatists pre-recorded staged emergencies.
- In a modern strategy of attrition, Ukraine is put under as much hybrid pressure as possible, aiming to push Ukraine back to Russia.
- Ukraine's westward orientation has been economically successful, further spooking Putin.
- The pro-European Maidan Revolution encouraged young Ukrainian entrepreneurs and Western investment.
RAAF Professional Military Education (PME).
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
Source Deutsche Welle (DW)
- Article Source: Deutsche Welle (DW)
- Media Check: About Us Deutsche Welle (DW)
- LEARNING OUTCOMES—RUNWAY | The Runway (airforce.gov.au) Site pending media bias check but the source is a recognised international news organisation.