By sending COVID-19 vaccines to over 60 countries, India hoped to be recognised as a global player, but this has now backfired as India desperately needs vaccines for itself.
India is the world’s largest vaccine producer. Two months ago, millions of Covid-19 vaccines were being exported to over 60 countries in its ‘Vaccine Maitri’ (Vaccine Friendship), designed to promote India as a global power and leader. COVID -19 is now out of control and India’s soft power diminished. The articles notes the following as contributing to the spread of covid-19 in India:
- Everyday life resumed too quickly after the first wave.
- Superstition replaced science-based policies.
- World Health Organization (WHO) advice ignored.
- Over-centralisation prevented states from using local knowledge.
- People ignored lockdown requirements.
- State governments were given responsibility without funding.
- Relief entity ‘PM CARES’ not transparent.
- Super-spreader events proliferated.
- India didn’t increase vaccine production.
- Import of foreign vaccines initially prevented.
- Vaccines distributed according to a political agenda rather than on a covid-19 needs basis.
- Apr 2021 Sky News India is critical in ‘balancing China’ but its prestige is ‘plummeting’
- Apr 2021 9 News India is critical in ‘balancing China’ but its prestige is ‘plummeting’
- Apr 2021 ABC News The pandemic has exposed a shortage of medical oxygen around the world. So what is it? And why is it lacking?
- Apr 2021 Times of India How Astrology caused a super-spreader by advancing Maha Kumbh dates.
- Apr 2021 The Guardian We are witnessing a crime against humanity: Arundhati Roy on India’s Covid catastrophe.