BLUFThe objectives and importance of the Quad in keeping the Indo-Pacific influence free and supporting indebted regional nations is demonstrated by the attendance of all member state leaders and the US trying to make India a reliable partner.
This article by Arjita Mishra in India Today makes the following points:
- QUAD leaders of India, the United States, Japan and Australia meet in the wake of the China- Solomon Islands security agreement.
- Focused on the Pacific and Indian Oceans.
- A satellite-based program aims to curbing illegal fishing- allegedly 95 % from Chinese boats.
- The US aims to reduce Indian Russian arms dependence despite India’s refusal to condemn Russia’s Ukraine invasion.
- USD 500 million military aid package planned.
- China views the Quad as containing its global rise.
- The 2020 China –India border clashes strengthened the QUAD.
- Chinese media have condemned the Malabar naval exercises that include QUAD members.
- Potential South Korean membership.
- Other countries see the Quad as countering China.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Four steps to a successful Quad leaders’ summit | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- How to Keep India All-In on the Quad | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- MAY 2022 Anthony Albanese says Quad will work more closely with Indo-Pacific to counter China's influence- SBS News
- MAY 2022 Quad: The China factor at the heart of the summit –BBC News
- MAY 2022 Quad leaders meet in Tokyo-CNN
Source Information: India Today
- Article Source: India Today
- Media Check: India Today Media Bias/Fact Check (mediabiasfactcheck.com)
- RAAF RUNWAY: RATIONALE, GUIDELINES, LEARNING OUTCOMES, ETC |