BLUFThis article lists six things that we can learn from cyberattacks and cyberbreaches.
In a conversation between two experienced IT experts, they identified six lessons from cyberattacks that should provide a learning opportunity for anybody who works online and is involved with cybersecurity.
- Be prepared for an attack; further, try to imaging the worst-case scenario.
- Check and double-check where you send payments.
- Back up all of your data. Note the 3-2-1 method of backup.
- Keep a record off-line of what data you have as this should help you identify data loss.
- Check and double-check all of your invoices; essential to check that you never pay the same invoice twice.
- Never discount the possibility that you have somebody inside the organisation who might be helping outsiders to steal your data. See Malicious Insiders.
Finally, if you do suffer a cyberbreach, report it to government authorities.