BLUFSince 1970, the C-5 cargo planes of the US Air Force, which are the biggest in the USAF fleet, have been transporting troops and equipment around the globe. These planes have recently been modernized, enabling them to stay operational for at least another twenty years until 2040.
Benjamin Brimelow writing in Insider, makes the following points:
- The C-5M Super Galaxy can carry 128 tonnes of cargo.
- Traditionally, spare parts required specialized tooling and long lead times.
- The US Air Force has instituted an Advanced Manufacturing Program Office to enhance capability.
- The aircraft has operated in Vietnam, Iraq, Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, and the Gulf War and assisted Israel during the Yom Kippur War.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- AVALON AIRSHOW 2023 COLLECTION - The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- US Air Force's biggest planes need to do more than carry things in the next war, air-mobility general says- The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- JUN 2022 US Air Force to Upgrade C-5M Super Galaxy Cockpit Controls and Displays-Avionics International
- MAR 2023 3D printed parts for the C-5M deliver new capabilities- Air Force News