The Runway Acceptable Use Policy
This user policy is in addition to any user policy or terms and conditions imposed by the Department of Defence on its employees.
As a user of the Royal Australian Air Force’s official professional development portal (hereafter referred to as ‘The Runway’) you may express your views, ideas, insights, and criticisms of the Royal Australian Air Force and The Runway’s published content. At the same time, you must show courtesy and respect to others and must not use the site as a means to abuse others, expose others to offensive or inappropriate content, or for any purpose beyond respectable and inclusive professional discourse.
The Runway reserves the right to enforce this Acceptable Use Policy at its discretion. The Runway may remove any posted messages that it considers to be in breach of this policy, or for any other reason. The Runway may also block or delete you as a user if it considers that you have breached this policy. Users should note that this page is not monitored 24/7 but we will endeavour to answer your posts/messages as soon as possible.
Please be aware that the Royal Australian Air Force may change this policy at any time.
Acceptable Content & Behaviour Guidelines
Your membership on ‘The Runway’, is predicated on you:
- demonstrating the Royal Australian Air Force values in your comments, specifically respect and integrity;
- protecting your personal privacy and that of others by not including personal information of either yourself or of others in your posts to comments (for example, names, email addresses, private addresses or phone numbers);
- protecting the safety of our personnel in the Australian Defence Force by not labelling or mentioning people, locations and dates of those personnel currently serving on Operations;
- representing your own views and not impersonate or falsely represent any other person;
- not being abusive, harassing or threatening others;
- not making defamatory or libellous comments;
- not using insulting, provocative or hateful language;
- not using obscene or offensive language;
- not using words or sentences in languages other than English;
- not posting material to comments that infringes the intellectual property rights of others;
- not posting multiple versions of the same view to comments or making excessive postings on a particular issue;
- not promoting commercial interests in your posts to comments;
- not making unproven or unsupported accusations against individuals or organisations;
- not linking any imagery in comments that violates copyright or breaches a license agreement in comments;
- not linking any images or link to sites that, in and of itself, may be considered abusive, offensive, indecent or obscene and are contra to the Royal Australian Air Force Values;
- not encouraging conduct that may constitute a criminal offence or give rise to civil liability, or that otherwise violates any local, provincial, national or international law or regulation anywhere in the world;
- not inciting hatred on the basis of any personal characteristic, including on the basis of race, gender, marital or domestic status, disability, sexuality or age;
- not identifying matters that are currently the subject of legal proceedings or would break a court’s non-publication order; and
- not making comments that are irrelevant to the topic being discussed.
Runway Privacy Statement
The Royal Australian Air Force may record information posted to ‘The Runway’ and use that information for the purpose of administering its site, informing future content, considering and/or addressing any comments made, and archiving.
‘The Runway’ may identify individuals who have posted on its site, where authorised or required by law, or for the purpose of assisting or conducting an investigation, This may include, but is not limited to, an internal complaint of unacceptable behaviour, investigations under the Defence Force Discipline Act, or investigations by civilian authorities.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the professional and academic nature of content items published on the site, ‘The Runway’ is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of any linked websites.
While the ‘The Runway’ will be regularly updated it accepts no responsibility for the accuracy, currency and completeness of any information published on the site or its relevance and suitability for any purpose a user may elect to use said information. For further information about ‘The Runway’ please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
‘The Runway’ accepts no responsibility for material on ‘The Runway’ that has been submitted by other users of ‘The Runway’. ‘The Runway’ does not endorse or otherwise support any view and opinion posted by a user to comments or contributor on ‘The Runway’.
‘The Runway’ posts links to content on other websites providing information that may be of utility to the professional development of our users. However, such links are published for convenience only and do not constitute endorsement of material at those sites, or any associated events, organisations, products or services.
Other users of ‘The Runway’ may also post links about Royal Australian Air Force events. While ‘The Runway’ makes reasonable efforts to ensure inappropriate material is identified and appropriately moderated or removed, it cannot and does not guarantee that inappropriate material will not be published. The publication of links and other content does not imply any endorsement, agreement or acceptance by the Royal Australian Air Force. ‘The Runway‘ recommends that users exercise their own skill and care with respect to such content and that they carefully evaluate the accuracy, currency, completeness, relevance and appropriateness of content for their purposes.
The Royal Australian Air Force accepts no legal liability whatsoever arising from, or connected to: the publication of links to events or other content; any failure to moderate inappropriate content (whether due to technical error or otherwise); or the use of, or reliance on, any links or other content posted by a user on this professional development portal.
Defence Library Site access
Access to the full suite of electronic resources provided by the Directorate of Publishing, Library and Information Services (DPLIS) is available on the Library Services site via the DPN: http://drnet.defence.gov.au/eig/Services/Library/Pages/Defence-Library-Service.aspx
By accessing electronic services via the Library Services internet site, you acknowledge that:
- Access to electronic resources is for current employees of the Department of Defence and/or authorised users who are permitted access to the secure Defence network.
- The use of electronic resources is governed by licence agreements between the publishers and the Library, and users are required to comply with the terms and conditions of the licences as well as applicable Commonwealth copyright laws.
- By accessing and/or using any electronic resources published on the DPLIS website, you agree to abide by the terms of the relevant licence and Defence’s use policies.
- Unauthorised access and use of materials may result in disciplinary action by Defence and financial penalties.
- Defence reserves the right to recover from users, costs to Defence arising from breach of the relevant licence agreement or any third party intellectual property by users.
- The Commonwealth does not accept any third party liability for any act or omission by users of the DPLIS electronic resources.
- If you do not agree to comply with the licence agreements and requirements of the third party provider(s) of these electronic resources, you will not access or use any of the online materials provided by DPLIS.
You declare that:
- You will not copy, reproduce, publish, adapt, sell, rent, upload to a website or distribute any electronic resources in any other form except where permitted.
- You will no longer access the Library internet site when you leave the Department of Defence.