BLUFBoeing and Rolls Royce are using an old B-52 in a purpose-built test facility to study the transformation of B-52 H models into modern J models. The process involves incorporating new engines, radar, communication, navigation, and weapon systems.
- McFarland Research and Development will determine how much structural life is left in the wings and control surfaces.
- Using the carcass avoids taking any operational aircraft out of service.
- The new equipment will be checked to ensure it doesn’t interfere with the older ones.
- KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) methodology is being utilised.
- The cockpit is being redesigned to be more pilot friendly.
- FEB 2023 Officials will not confirm whether US bombers in Australia carry nuclear weapons-ABC News
- APR 2023 US Air Force eyes September for next phase of re-engining B-52 bombers-Defense News
- APR 2023 The B-52 Is Getting a Big, Ugly, Fat, F***ing Upgrade-Popular mechanics