BLUFAUKUS provides India with the opportunity to get a better deal from its military hardware suppliers and perhaps acquire previously restricted technology from the US.
The author points out:
- India needs to be careful not to upset the Russians (Indian nuclear ballistic missile submarine program supplier) and the French, who are also prepared to supply nuclear boats, perhaps the Barracuda.
- The US won't share 'top-shelf' defence technologies with India despite the Chinese Himalayan border threat.
- If Australia can acquire nuclear-powered attack submarines (SSNs) under AUKUS arrangements, perhaps India can negotiate a similar agreement.
- Indian strategic planners want six SSNs to reduce India's dependence on Russia.
- Current Indian nuclear propulsion expertise utilises 1970's Russian technology.
- Even the possibility of US SSN technology gives India bargaining power with France and Russia.
- Enhancing the capability of individual Quad members could result in stretching Chinese naval forces.
- Competition with China may result in India acquiring US technology.
- Overall, AUKUS benefits New Delhi's interests in the Indian Ocean.
- Sep 2021 Economic Times AUKUS trilateral may benefit India
- Sep 2021 Firstpost AUKUS has opened strategic opportunity for India, and France is a key player in the equation
- Sep 2021 FP India Welcomes AUKUS Pact as China Deterrent
- Oct 2021 Hindustan Times AUKUS won’t affect the US-India relationship. But it will affect Quad