BLUFIn a ground-breaking partnership, the deal aims to put an advanced front-line fighter into operation by 2035.
This Reuters article by Tim Kelly, Paul Sandle and Nobuhiro Kubo, notes the following:
- Japan's first major industrial defence collaboration beyond the United States.
- The agreement should help Japan counter the growing military might of China.
- The deal will also give Britain a more significant security role in the Pacific region—a region that is a driver of global economic growth.
- Plans are for the aircraft to have advanced digital capabilities in artificial intelligence and cyber warfare.
References from the Web:
- DEC 2022 Japan, U.K. and Italy to jointly develop next-gen fighter aircraft by 2035—Japan Times
- DEC 2022 UK, Japan and Italy agree to build joint advanced fighter jet—Financial Times