BLUFF-35C has been developed for launching from an aircraft carrier, but it can still carry a similar payload to the A’s and B’s.
Maya Carlin writing in 19FortyFive, makes the following points:
- The F35C’s stealth properties are similar to the F-22 Raptor.
- Not since the mid-1960s era F-4 Phantom did the US marines, navy and air force operate the same aircraft.
- Catapult take-off and arrested landings add extra stress on an aircraft.
- Larger flight control surfaces maintain stability at slower approach speeds.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
F-35 01: COLLECTION | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- JAN 2021 F-35 ABCs: Learn about Britain's most expensive warplane and its variants-Forces|Net
- FEB 2022 Former TOPGUN instructor breaks down the leaked video of a F-35 crashing on the deck of a US Navy aircraft carrier-Insider
- JUN 2022 Navy slows F-35 orders amid rising readiness grades of its fighter fleet-DefenseNews