BLUFScammers are now using artificial intelligence to impersonate the voices of family members.
Anna Patty writing in the Sydney Morning Herald, makes the following points:
- Scamwatch estimates Australians lost $4 billion from scams last year.
- Reimbursing victims could create a honeypot for scammers.*
*scammers will be incentivized to continue scamming people since they know banks will reimburse their victims.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Checking a business is genuine - The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- How do you spot a scam? Listen to how someone tells you to pay - The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- MAR 2023 The Next A.I. Scam Is Here—and It Could Cost You Thousands-Slate
- MAR 2023 AI-generated voice scams have arrived-Australian Computer Society