BLUFThe first of these highly anticipated submarines are currently under construction in Connecticut. The advanced warships are expected to represent a significant improvement over the previous Virginia-class subs.
- Block V will feature a new design known as the Virginia Payload Module, or VPM.
- The VPM is a ‘hull plug’ that can increase the boat’s payload.
- Because of the VPM, the Block V will be able to carry three times more Tomahawk missiles than Block IV.
- SUBMARINES & AUKUS—01: COLLECTION | The Runway
- APR 2023 Virginia Payload Module to Give Subs More Firepower—National Defence Magazine
- APR 2023 Seabed Espionage Variant of Virginia Class Submarine In Development—The Drive