Babcock Ranch in hurricane-prone Florida is an eco-conscious, climate-resilient and innovative neighbourhood. It calls itself “America’s first solar-powered town.” Seven hundred thousand solar panels generate more electricity than consumed.
Rachel Ramirez writing in CNN, makes the following points:
- Streets are designed to flood, so houses don't.
- Native vegetation along roads helps control stormwater.
- Power and internet lines are underground to avoid wind damage.
- Some residents have their solar panels and batteries and drive electric vehicles.
- Residents from other suburbs have taken cover in the neighbourhood's solar-powered refuge.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
References from the Web: