BLUFThis article from Wonderful Engineering identifies five benefits that organisations such as the police force, private companies or other government departments can gain from using Automatic License Plate Recognition (ALPR) software.
This article from Wonderful Engineering identifies the following five benefits of ALPR.
- Enhanced Security: When installed together with CCTV video surveillance, it can provide greater protection of premises.
- Reduced Resource Requirements: Less staff are required to monitor and access information related to ALPR.
- Improved Accuracy: Eyewitnesses are notoriously inaccurate and can result in a court case failing to get a conviction. ALPR can provide the license plate and make and colour of the vehicle.
- Improved Efficiency: Visitor vehicles can be recorded automatically and traffic flow, resulting in more effective road and parking use.
- Provides Practical Data: Can provide valid data to inform future strategic decision making.
- However, other sources are concerned that ALPR might infringe a person's right to privacy, see: Opinion/Stern: Surveillance technology raises privacy concerns (providencejournal.com)
- It is also important not to get carried away with what ALPR can and cannot do, see: Busted! 6 common myths about automatic license plate readers and vehicle detection (police1.com)
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- What you need to know about face surveillance | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- Hackers say they've gained access to surveillance cameras in Australian childcare centres, schools and aged care | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- How America’s surveillance networks helped the FBI catch the Capitol mob | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- BMAR 2021 Benefits of Automatic Number Plate Recognition Systems | TPS (totalparking.co.uk)
- JUNE 2021 Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) - Overview - viso.ai
- JUNE 2021 Automated Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras (Department of Transport and Main Roads) (tmr.qld.gov.au)
- NOV 2021 'Massive expansion’ of automatic number plate recognition across WA (watoday.com.au)
Source Information: Wonderful Engineering Home Page
- Article Source: Home (wonderfulengineering.com)
- Media Check: About Wonderful Engineering (no Media Bias fact-check available)
- Learning Outcomes: RUNWAY Topics, Learning Outcomes | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)