BLUFAt last, the USS Gerald R. Ford is on its first deployment, five years after it was commissioned into service and 15 years after its naming.
This article by Eleanor Watson, writing for CBS News, makes the following points:
- The short deployment to the Atlantic is to test further the systems that delayed its debut.
- The carrier and its strike group will be on exercise with eight other nations.
- The vessel’s delays related to engineering and software issues stalled the certification of the weapons elevators and the catapults that launch aircraft off the carrier.
- The Ford is the most powerful warship the US Navy has ever put to sea and the most expensive warship in Navy history.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
References from the Web:
- OCT 2022 USS Gerald R. Ford Departs For Its First Major Deployment—Naval News
- OCT 2022 USS Gerald R. Ford, the Navy’s newest aircraft carrier, deploys for first time—Stars and Stripes