BLUFA criminal gang launched a ransomware attack on a major U.S. pipeline company.
Colonial Pipeline operates the most significant fuel pipeline network in the USA, serving 50 million consumers; major points are as follows:
- A cyberattack shut down servers that controlled the pipeline.
- A Russian-based criminal gang probably carried out this attack.
- In a ransomware attack, Darkside demanded millions in return for not attacking Colonial Pipeline servers.
- Possible that US officials had likely exerted heavy pressure on the Russian leadership to shut down the hackers.
- Panic buying of fuel made the situation worse.
- Within a few days, the pipeline returned to normal.