BLUFThe US Dept of Defense has announced that the Navy’s primary research and development agency has successfully tested an all-electric, high-energy laser.
This article by Justin Katz, writing for Breaking Defense, makes the following points:
- The Office of Naval Research conducted the test at the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico in February 2022 but has only just announced the results.
- The weapon, called the Layered Laser Defense, is built by Lockheed Martin and can be used to counter drones and fast-attack boats.
- The test involved shooting down a target representing a subsonic cruise missile in flight.
- The Navy said the laser took out multiple targets in addition to a cruise missile; these targets included quadcopter drones and other UAVs.
- The Navy—and the US Dept of Defense—have become increasingly interested in directed energy weapons in recent years.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
References from the Web:
- APR 2022 U.S. Navy Conducts Historic Test Of New Laser Weapon System—Naval News
- APR 2022 Lockheed Laser Shoots Down Aerial Targets For U.S. Navy Demo—Aviation Week