BLUFAmazon’s founder has big plans for space travel and business following his successful space flight.
- New Shepherd is a rocket topped by a capsule.
- Carries four people.
- The capsule reached 107 km above Earth, followed by a parachute-aided landing.
- The rocket returned via a vertical, powered touchdown.
- Liftoff to landing took ten minutes.
- Blue Origin had previously received a major boost when NASA awarded it a contract to develop a crew ferry vehicle for the International Space Station, a task once done by the Space Shuttle, which was retired in 2011.
- New Shepard is named after Alan Shepard, who made the US’s first suborbital flight.
- Bezos was struck by just how thin Earth’s atmosphere is and how greenhouse gases are damaging it.
- Blue Origin aims to work towards:
- Having millions of people living and working in space.
- Moving mining and heavy industry off Earth.
Bezos is now focussed on Blue Origin and the Bezos Earth Fund.