BLUFThe Apple AirTag allows the tracking of goods and personal items, but like most technology, there are benefits and costs.
The author argues that the speed and all-pervasiveness of technology results in:
- An exponentially heightened collective paranoia.
- Feeling we can trust no one and fear everyone, reducing social cohesion.
- The ability to stay in touch with each other and work together in ways that were never previously possible.
- Allowing employers to monitor remote working employees.
Apple's Air-Tags are both beneficial and detrimental.
- Used to track the movement of goods and surveillance.
- Able to improve child safety through monitoring their location (although Apple recommends a family set up Apple watch).
- The perfect tool for stalking.
- Used by thieves to track cars etc. and steal them.
Worth noting and remembering the following:
- For iPhone users: A concealed active AirTag triggers a warning that shows up on the screen when the tracking takes place.
- For Android users: A dedicated app published by Apple on the Google Play Store needs installation and a manual scan for a nearby AirTag undertaken when individuals believe they might be tracked.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Top Ten Tech Articles Of 2021 | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- What you need to know about face surveillance | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- What is AI? Here's everything you need to know about artificial intelligence. | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- JAN 2022 Apple Explains How to Stay Safe With AirTag and More in Personal Safety Guide | MacRumors
- JAN 2022 Apple AirTag Becoming a Problem in Europe Too, Police Say It’s Now Used by Stalkers | autoevolution
- JAN 2022 Apple's AirTag is quickly becoming the perfect tool for stalking Android users | TECHSPOT
Source Information: ZDNet
- Article Source: ZDNet-Daily Tech News
- Media Check: ZDNet- Media Bias/Fact Check (mediabiasfactcheck.com)
- Learning Outcomes: RUNWAY TOPICS: LEARNING OUTCOMES | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)