BLUFThe Home Affairs Secretary, Mike Pezzullo, states that the threat of a major cyberattack on Australian infrastructure is a very real possibility.
This article about Home Affairs Department secretary Mike Pezzullo who recently claimed that Australia is vulnerable to a cyberattack on its infrastructure. The ABC notes the following points:
- The threat posed by criminal gangs and hackers who work for other countries is very real and 'deeply concerning'.
- Pezzullo stresses that the possibility of a significant attack is one of his most pressing concerns.
- The federal government wants to put into place new legislation to ensure that our national infrastructure is better protected from future cyberattacks.
- The new laws would force operators to improve the way that they protect infrastructure from cyberattacks.
- The new laws would impose greater cybersecurity obligations on operators responsible for the infrastructure.
- Recent cyberattacks have targetted, Federal parliament and Western Australia's parliament
- Prime minister Scott Morrison wants all organisations to protect themselves.