BLUFThe USA leadership will enhance Ukrainian capability by providing more rockets, ammunition and other arms direct from current stocks in a new US $1 billion arms package.
Lolita C. Baldor and Ellen Knickmeyer writing in PBS News Hour, make the following points:
- The package includes more rockets for the High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS), artillery rounds, mortar systems, Javelins and other ammunition.
- HIMARS and artillery systems have been crucial, providing precision-guided systems.
- A small number of HIMARS (16 currently) is a force multiplier.
- Estimated Russian deaths and injuries to date are 80,000.
- The U.S. and its allies are considering supplying western aircraft to Ukraine.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Western nations pledge more military support for Ukraine - The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- THE 2022 RUSSO-UKRAINE CONFLICT | The Runway (govcms.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- AUG 2022 Western countries pledge $1.55 bln in military aid to Ukraine—Reuters
- AUG 2022 26 Countries Pledge $1.55B in Long-Term Military Aid for Ukraine—The Defense Post
- AUG 2022 Western fund hits €1.5B in pledges to boost Ukrainian defense—Politico