BLUFEvery day massive amounts of data are generated—data management is a vital business skill to ensure that organisations use data effectively and efficiently.
This article begins with a definition of ‘data management’, as follows:
‘Data management is the process of ingesting, storing, organizing and maintaining the data created and collected by an organization.
The article makes the following points:
- Data is an asset that can inform the decision-making process.
- There may be a legal requirement to store and manage data to make it available on request.
- Databases are the platform(s) where the data is stored.
- Database admin is a core function, and databases need to be continually monitored.
- A database management system is the software that an organization uses to manage its data.
- Worth remembering the 3-2-1 backup rule:
- You should have three copies of your data.
- One copy for everyday use.
- And two backup copies, preferably using different media and stored off-site.
Consider whether the rules of data management apply to individuals and the way they manage their personal data.
- Feb 2020 HBR.. 10 Steps to Creating a Data-Driven Culture (HBR)
- Mar 2020 HBR.. How CEOs Can Lead a Data-Driven Culture
- July 2020 APS.. New Data Management Guide for the APS - Foundational
- Sep 2020 Business.com What Is Data Management, and How Do Businesses Use It