BLUFThe latest wind turbines are nearly as big as the Eiffel Tower; the bigger they get, the cheaper the power they can generate.
Simon Hogg writing for the Conversation, notes the following:
- Bigger wind turbines can generate electricity at competitive prices.
- Bigger blades can extract more energy from the wind.
- However, as blades get bigger, they need to turn more slowly.
- Aerodynamics, engineering constraints and transportation of turbine blades should put a limit on size.
References from the Web:
- 07 JAN 2023 A colossal 18 MW wind turbine is about to debut in China | Electrek
- 08 JAN 2023 China unveils 18-MW world’s largest offshore wind turbine that could power 40,000 homes annually (interestingengineering.com)