BLUFHumans construct extremely complex social, institutional and technological systems that can generate even more complexity.
Ragnar van der Merwe and Alex Broadbent writing in the Conversation, make the following points:
- “Complex” doesn’t just mean “complicated”: it means that the parts of a system may interact to create new properties.
- There are different approaches to navigating complexity as follows:
- The “analytic approach” .reduces complex systems to a set of laws.
- The “postmodern”, is where success is due to luck.
- The “reasoning heuristics” look at the past to forecast the future.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- THE HUMAN BRAIN 01: COLLECTION - The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- COGNITIVE BIAS 01: COLLECTION- The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- MAR 2022 6 Skills For Navigating Complexity-Ten Six Consulting
- What does “navigating complexity” look like?-Future Considerations