BLUFTurkey (Türkiye) and Iran are currently developing specialised ships to carry drones—this type of carrier might provide a much cheaper way of developing a maritime airpower strike capability.
This article by Paul Iddon, writing for Forbes, makes the following points:
- The Turkish navy ship, the TCG Anadolu (LHD-400), is possibly the world’s first uncrewed combat aerial vehicle carrier (UCAV).
- Able to operate Bayraktar TB3 drones, Kizilelma uncrewed fighter jets, and Hurjet light attack aircraft.
- The Anadolu was designed for short take-off and vertical landing (STOVL) aircraft such as the F-35B.
- Iran is modifying two merchant ships to carry drones, missiles, fast patrol boats, and helicopters.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
References from the Web:
- APR 2023 Turkey’s New Flagship, TCG Anadolu, Is the World’s First Drone Aircraft Carrier-Popular Mechanics
- APR 2023 TCG Anadolu: Turkey launches its largest warship, the world's first 'drone carrier'-Middle East Eye
- Article Source: Forbes
- Media Check: Forbes - Media Bias/Fact Check ((HIGH CREDIBILITY)
- RAAF RUNWAY: RATIONALE, GUIDELINES, LEARNING OUTCOMES, ETC