BLUFThis maneuverable light-attack aircraft is designed for close air support to ground troops in less-contested, low-risk, and counterinsurgency environments. It is used by Chile, Columbia, Indonesia, and the Philippines. Equipment includes a 20mm cannon, machine guns, and rockets.
This article by Kris Osborn, writing for 19FortyFive, makes the following points:
- In service since 2003.
- Combat radius of 300 nautical miles.
- Effective in urban environments or condensed combat circumstances.
- Built by the Brazilian company Embraer and also manufactured in the U.S. by Sierra Nevada Corporation.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- F-35 01: COLLECTION-The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- What Makes The A-10 Warthog So Dangerous- The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- APR 2023 Embraer unveils Super Tucano in NATO configuration-Australian Defence Magazine
- APR 2023 Embraer Showcases Super Tucano Aircraft in NATO Configuration-The Defense Post