BLUFBuilt during the Cold War to destroy Soviet tanks, this slow aircraft is as effective as ever against modern targets.
Brent M. Eastwood writing in 19Fortyfive, makes the following points:
- Uses the GAU-8/A rotary Gatling-style weapon.
- 4,200 30 mm armour-piercing depleted uranium rounds per minute.
- The “double-ended feed system returns spent casings to the ammunition drum.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Preliminary Lessons in Conventional Warfighting from Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine: February–July 2022- The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- SEP 2022 Why the A-10 Warthog Is Such a Badass Plane-Popular Mechanics
- DEC 2022 US pilots are testing the aging A-10 Warthog for a new kind of mission against more advanced enemies-Business Insider