BLUFThe current chief of the RAAF, Air Marshal Rob Chipman, has indicated that the RAAF is considering the potential of low-cost predator drones.
In reporting a speech by the current CAF, the ABC notes that:
- Air Marshal Chipman warned against being 'seduced by technology' in examining eastern European equipment.
- The proliferation of low-cost drones and loitering munitions can deliver Intelligence, Surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) to great effect.
- Drones do not replace contemporary combat aircraft but may serve as a useful complement.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Avalon 2023 Collection
- Alternative Link: Avalon 2023 Collection
- Drones Collection
- Alternative Link Drones Collection
References from the Web:
- 01 MAR 2023 US-China tensions: New implications for the Indo-Pacific (iiss.org)
- 27 FEB 2023 Australian-designed lethal drone to be unveiled at Avalon Airshow - ABC News
- 22 FEB 2023 RAAF chief Air Marshal Robert Chipman warns Australia must counter China’s edge in hypersonic missiles (afr.com)
- 22 FEB 2023 Drones will be a game-changer for defence (afr.com)