The Defence Strategic Review is a report by Stephen Smith and Angus Houston that reviewed Australia's military capabilities with input from 150 experts and 360 submissions.
- The review recommends prioritized diplomatic partnership building.
- The acquisition of conventionally armed, nuclear-powered submarines is recommended.
- Reduction of LAND 400 Phase 3 and cancellation of LAND 8116 Phase 2 is advised.
- Enhancement of northern bare military bases is proposed.
- Streamlined acquisition processes are suggested.