Google has developed a quantum computer that outperforms existing supercomputers, performing calculations instantly that would take conventional machines 47 years.
- Google claimed "quantum supremacy" in 2019, a point where quantum computers surpass existing machines.
- Quantum computers could potentially undermine today's encryption systems.
- The new machine is 241 million times more powerful than the 2019 machine.
- The latest quantum computer is claimed to be more powerful than those from a leading Chinese lab.
- Critics argue that the tasks used to measure quantum machines lack practical value beyond academic study.