BLUFThe US Air Force will begin testing its first hypersonic weapon—an air-to-ground missile that can travel more than five times the speed of sound.
This article by Doug G. Ware, writing for Stars & Stripes, makes the following points:
- The US Defense Department has poured millions of dollars into hypersonic research and development.
- The new weapon is called the Air-Launched Rapid Response Weapon, or ARRW.
- It is an air-to-ground missile that can travel as fast as Mach 5.
- The USA built the ARRW to be carried by the B-52 bomber.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Hypersonic missiles: Is the US falling behind its competitors in the new global arms race? | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- Raytheon wins $985M contract to develop hypersonic missiles | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- DEC 2022 Air Force Clears Hurdle for First Hypersonic Weapons—Military.com
- DEC 2022 Hypersonic Missiles: Overhyped or the Future of Warfare?—The Defense Post
- Article Source: https://www.stripes.com/
- Media Check: Stars & Stripes - Media Bias Fact Check (mediabiasfactcheck.com)
- RAAF RUNWAY: RATIONALE, GUIDELINES, DIRECTIONS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- LINKS TO PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION (PME) WEB PAGES | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)