BLUFIn 1962 during the Cold War, the USSR (Russia) attempted to place nuclear missiles in Cuba—the USA saw this as a direct threat to the USA.
Julian Borger writing in the Guardian, makes the following points:
- The USA then blockaded Cuba; however, the Russian navy still attempted to run the blockade.
- A Russian submarine was part of the task force that attempted to run the USA blockade of Cuba.
- The submarine commander lost his nerve and, convinced they were under attack, wanted to launch a nuclear-tipped torpedo at US naval forces.
- Three officers needed to approve the launch of a nuclear-tipped torpedo.
- The third officer, the submarine brigade’s chief of staff, understood that the US forces were signalling.
- He was not prepared to authorise a launch of a nuclear-tipped torpedo.
- The Cuba crisis was resolved by Russia removing nuclear missiles from Cuba and the USA removing nuclear missiles from Turkey.
- MILITARY HISTORY: INDEX of PAGES AND COLLECTIONS ON THE RAAF RUNWAY
- SEP 2022 Soviet Submarine B-59 And The Man Who Single-Handedly Prevented Nuclear War-IFL Science
- OCT 2022 The Underwater Cuban Missile Crisis at 60-National Security Archive