The article details Ukraine's immense landmine problem post-Russia's invasion. New 'smart mines' add complexity. Despite tech advances, decontamination may take decades.
- Ukraine has the world's highest landmine contamination, with 30% of the territory affected.
- Explosive remnants of war in Ukraine kill or injure three civilians daily.
- New 'smart mines', never seen in conflicts before, are found in Ukraine.
- Booby traps and IEDs are hidden in civilian areas, even in toys or household items.
- Despite tech advances, landmine clearance in Ukraine could take 50 years.