NATO's northern expansion, including Finland and Sweden's membership, provides new possibilities for Moscow's containment. The region extending from the Baltic to the high north is evolving into an integrated NATO operating area, facilitating comprehensive defence planning.
- Finland's membership is anticipated to aid NATO in better containing Russia in the Far North.
- The extended alliance is redefining Europe's security landscape, with NATO now spanning the north.
- Finland is expected to host more military exercises and is upgrading its Arctic air force base.
- With Sweden's submarines, the Baltic Sea is projected to become more secure, thereby enhancing NATO's presence.
- Sweden's upcoming submarine design should further expand NATO's presence in the Baltic.