BLUFFor years data centres have been set up in Eire, but the Irish grid can no longer support them.
This article by Liam Tung, writing for ZDNet, makes the following points.
- Amazon and Microsoft had planned to invest €2bn in Eire.
- In Eire data, centres use 14% of all power produced by the Eire grid.
- If this was to increase, it could result in rolling blackouts.
- EirGrid will not approve the expansion of data centres to at least 2028.
References from the Web :
- OCT 2021 Why Is Ireland The Smart Choice For Technology Companies? – Smart MBS
- AUG 2022 Microsoft and Amazon have had to cancel several new data centers –