BLUFA more significant Chinese military presence in the Solomons could change how the ADF supports the local police in the Solomons.
This article by Andrew Greene in ABC News makes the following points:
- The Solomon Islands Prime Minister has signed a security agreement with China.
- China is the biggest donor to Solomon Islands government members of parliament.
- Chinese police are training Solomon Islands police despite pleas from the Australian Federal Police Commissioner.
- Regionally, Australia wants to remain the partner of choice.
- Many national security experts remain concerned about the existing Port of Darwin leased to a Chinese subsidiary company.
- The 2022 budget allocated $1.5 billion toward the dredging of a shipping channel and creating a wharf and offloading facility, probably at Middle Arm inside Darwin Harbour.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Solomon Islands confirms China security draft, alarming Australia | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- As the Solomon Islands heat up, Australia is at the crosshairs of a big global shift with China and the US | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- MAR 2022 Australia to Build New Darwin Port After Chinese Lease, ABC Says- Bloomberg
- MAR 2022 New Darwin port could help replace US Pearl Harbour naval facility – Sydney Morning Herald
- APR 2022 UK Royal Navy Offshore Patrol visits Honiara today – Solomon Star
- APR 2022 While Putin’s hurricane rages, Xi calculates-Sydney Morning Herald
Source Information ABC Australia
- Article Source: ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
- Media Check: ABC News Australia - Media Bias/Fact Check (mediabiasfactcheck.com)
- LEARNING OUTCOMES—RUNWAY