BLUFThe Solomon Islands is adopting a security deal with China, alarming Australia, New Zealand and other Western allies.
This article by Frances Mao from the BBC makes the following points:
- The Solomon Islands is around 2000 km from Australia.
- Australia is the Solomon's primary defence and police partner and aid donor.
- The deal might involve Chinese navy ship visits for replenishment, stopovers, armed police and military personnel.
- Increased trade and civil aviation planned.
- Security analysts say the plans clearly show China's intention.
- Australia's 'Pacific Step Up' aims to counter China's loans and spending; however, the Solomons have grown closer to China.
- The Solomons ended diplomatic relations with Taiwan and developed better relations with China in 2019.
- Following riots on the Solomon Islands in 2021, Australia sent troops to the island.
- The US plans to re-open its Solomon Islands embassy.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- As the Solomon Islands heat up, Australia is at the crosshairs of a big global shift with China and the US | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- As Australia deploys troops and police, what now for Solomon Islands? | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- MAR 2022 Australia’s lost influence in Pacific on display in Solomon Islands-China deal, Anthony Albanese says- The Guardian
- MAR 2022 Solomon Islands politician 'extremely disappointed' Australia ignored warnings of China military deal-ABC News
- MAR 2022 Australia urged to ramp up Pacific security funding to counter China- Financial Review
- MAR 2022 Solomon Islands in danger of becoming a puppet state of China- Sydney Morning Herald
Source: BBC News
- Link to Source: Home - BBC News
- Media Check: BBC News -Media Bias/Fact Check (mediabiasfactcheck.com)
- RAAF RUNWAY: RATIONALE, GUIDELINES, LEARNING OUTCOMES, ETC |