BLUFEach week, Australia needs around 29,000 blood donations—and ADF members are helping reach that target—but why is it that some people only donate once?
Australian Defence Force members are renowned for putting their nation before themselves, so it’s no wonder so many ADF members volunteer to donate blood. Some members donate all-year-round, while others like to get involved in the annual Defence Blood Challenge. However, research has found that around 40 per cent of Australian blood donors fail to re-donate. Likely, ADF members are also included in these statistics. Researchers believe there are both physical and psychological reasons for this and help find strategies to ensure Australia continues to have a reliable supply of blood products needed for its blood donation program. This article lists some simple tips for creating a better blood-donation experience.
- Mar 2020 Red Cross Blood donation - an essential service
- Mar 2020 The Conversation In the time of coronavirus, donating blood is more essential than ever
- Jan 2021 Marie Claire Australia Has Officially Eased Its Blood Donation Restrictions
- Feb 2021 Red Cross Coronavirus Information
- Feb 2021 BMC Promoting the propensity for blood donation through the understanding of its determinants
- Feb 2021 The Lancet Progress towards inclusive blood donation