This article explores how new managers need to refocus from their own work quality to applying leadership skills to the development of their subordinates’ work quality and output while growing and developing themselves.
The nexus between management and leadership is complex, but one of the universal similarities is the focus on the team. Isiah Atkins suggests the following ways to develop a team(s):
- Collaborative - Setting or reinforcing ethics. Delegating tasks. Encouraging communication and feedback.
- Growth Orientated – helping subordinates progress individually and collectively.
- Know how to communicate.
- Motivate subordinates.
Atkins also notes leaders and managers should avoid the following:
- Providing only negative feedback.
- Micromanaging staff.
- Requesting too much feedback.
- Being negative regarding new ideas.
- Refusing to engage in difficult conversations.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
References from the Web :
Source Information Business News Daily