BLUFThis article explores how new managers need to refocus from their own work quality to applying leadership skills to the development of their subordinates’ work quality and output while growing and developing themselves.
The nexus between management and leadership is complex, but one of the universal similarities is the focus on the team. Isiah Atkins suggests the following ways to develop a team(s):
- Collaborative - Setting or reinforcing ethics. Delegating tasks. Encouraging communication and feedback.
- Growth Orientated – helping subordinates progress individually and collectively.
- Know how to communicate.
- Motivate subordinates.
Atkins also notes leaders and managers should avoid the following:
- Providing only negative feedback.
- Micromanaging staff.
- Requesting too much feedback.
- Being negative regarding new ideas.
- Refusing to engage in difficult conversations.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- 5 Skills that Should be a Part of Every Manager's Training – (TheRunway (airforce.gov.au)
- Why Working Mums Make Exceptional Managers – TheRunway (airforce.gov.au)
- How to Be a Supportive Manager When Times Are Tough – TheRunway (airforce.gov.au)
- There Is No Difference Between Managers And Leaders – TheRunway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web :
- JUL 2021 32 Resources to Help Your New Managers See Success Quickly
- APR 2022 The secret to developing managers that help your business thrive
Source Information Business News Daily
- Article Source: Business News Daily
- Media Check: About Us-Business News Daily
- RAAF RUNWAY: RATIONALE, GUIDELINES, LEARNING OUTCOMES, ETC |