BLUFThere’s little consensus on what a ‘psychopath’ really is; however, academics Crego and Widiger have identified six people—both real and fictional— who could be classified as psychopaths.
This article by Emma Young, writing for the British Psychological Society, makes the following points:
- Famous psychopaths have included: Theodore (Ted) Bundy, Clyde Barrow, Bernie Madoff, Chuck Yeager, James Bond and Sherlock Holmes.
- The authors presented their work in a Personality Disorders: Theory, Research and Treatment paper.
- Psychopathic traits are not always negative and can include fearlessness and absolute dedication to pursuing a goal.
- Rather than taking traits that have been associated with psychopathy and checking to see if they matched the purported personalities, the authors took the reverse approach.
- The results led Crego and Widiger to identify eight traits associated with psychopathic behaviour.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
How to stop psychopaths and narcissists from winning positions of power | The Runway (govcms.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- JUL 2021 What is the difference between sociopathy and psychopathy?—Medical News Today
- OCT 2021 7 Characteristics of a Psychopathic Personality—Psychology Today
- NOV 2021 What Is a Psychopath?—Very Well Mind