BLUFThe appointment of Carolyn Kennedy—who has direct access to President Biden—as US Ambassador to Australia shows the importance President Biden places on the US’s relationship with Australia.
Caroline Kennedy, lawyer, author, a person of influence and only surviving child of assassinated US President John F Kennedy, has been nominated as the next Ambassador to Australia. Former Australian Senator, and senior visiting fellow at the United States Studies Centre, Stephen Loosley assesses its significance.
Kennedy is a former ambassador to Japan.
US ambassadors serve at the president’s discretion.
She is President Biden’s choice and should be able to pick up the phone and talk directly to him when needed.
Ambassadorial nominees need Senate confirmation which can be slow.
Senators often use delaying tactics to negotiate on other issues of concern.
Under Donald Trump, Australia had no ambassador for years, relying on the chargé d’affaires instead.
Kennedy’s experience in Japan should be advantageous in further growing the Australia-Japan relationship and in the QUAD.
In the face of Australia’s and the Indo-Pacific’s strategic challenges, Kennedy should bring a sustained diplomatic focus to the region.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- LINKS TO ARTICLES ABOUT AUKUS | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- How Australian AI will benefit from AUKUS | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- ANZUS at 70: ANZUS and New Zealand | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- Biden, Australia, and the Future of ANZUS in the Indo-Pacific | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- Can Biden’s Build Back Better World compete with the Belt and Road? | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- US has 'enormous respect' for how Australia is standing up to China's 'economic coercion' | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- DEC 2021 Caroline Kennedy will be an empowered, optimistic US ambassador to Australia |The Strategist
- DEC 2021 Caroline Kennedy Nominated as US Ambassador to Australia | The Diplomat
- DEC 2021 Biden nominates Caroline Kennedy to be ambassador to Australia | The Guardian
- DEC 2021 Genuine royalty’: Caroline Kennedy nominated as next US ambassador to Australia | Sydney Morning Herald
- Dec 2021 Joe Biden has nominated Caroline Kennedy as his ambassador to Australia. She's more than a symbolic choice | ABC News
- DEC 2021 Caroline Kennedy is an ideal US Ambassador and a huge compliment to Australia | The Conversation
Source Information: ASPI
- Article Source:| Australian Strategic Policy Institute | ASPI
- Media Check: About Us | Australian Strategic Policy Institute | ASPI
- Learning Outcomes: RUNWAY TOPICS: LEARNING OUTCOMES | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)